Course Type: Permanent
Year Established: 1982. The oldest standing disc golf course in the state of Florida!
Designers and Developers: Tom Monroe, Shawn Harrigan, Tim Brooks, Jeff Wright, Matt Tittle
Course Length: 4406-5863 ft
Tee Type: Concrete
Basket Type: Mach 3
Address: 5751 NW 34th Street, Gainesville, FL 32601
Northside Tee Signs
Recent Course Improvements
The Chain Hawks maintain its courses through volunteer stewardship. Beyond ongoing maintenance and changing basket positions monthly, additions and improvements to Northside include:
- Addition of Lost and Found box at front kiosk
- Addition of free scorecards on kiosk
- Installment of short pad benches on Holes #2, #3, #7, #13, #16, #17
- Installment of directional tape on baskets
- Concrete pads installed on short pad #6 and #14 and on holes #19 and #20.
- Installation of new permanent tee signs
- Planting of 20 trees
Thank you to the City of Gainesville Parks and Recreation Department for there continued partnership with the Chain Hawks!
Disc Golf Survey
Thanks to club member, Murray Zolt, and Player Representative, Matt Mollet, the Chain Hawks have survey data that span from 2015 to 2017 and show the number of disc golfers who played Northside within a day, as well as the demographics of those players. In 2015, there were 98 people who played the course within a day and in 2016, 117 disc golfers were surveyed. In April of 2017, the survey showed 137 disc golfers played Northside within one day!
Highlights of the 2017 survey included:
- 137 people were surveyed
- Total number of people increased by 17.09% from 2016
- 21% of people were current Chain Hawk members
- Club members, on average, play 3.81 rounds per week
- Non-club members, on average, play 1.5 rounds per week
- 67% of people lived within Gainesville city limits
- 8 people were out-of-state residents
- Distribution across age groups was same as 2016
- Continued increase in % female players between years
- Large variation in how long people have been playing disc golf – ranged from first time players to people who have been playing for 33 years.
- 48% of people had been playing for a year or less:
- 13 people were playing disc golf for their first time (2 for the second day)
- 12 people had been playing for 1-6 months
- 23 people had been playing for one year